Margaret-Ann focuses her practice on the representation of school districts and school boards in student matters including special education and discipline hearings, residency questions and liable school district issues. She also represents school districts in labor matters including arbitration hearings and cases before the New Hampshire Public Employee Labor Relations Board (PELRB). She conducts investigations for school districts in student and employee matters.
Margaret-Ann appears frequently at the Department of Education in administrative due process hearings, and represents school districts in district courts, U.S. District Court and the New Hampshire Supreme Court.
Significant New Hampshire Supreme Court cases include:
- In Re: Todd P., 127 N.H. 792, 509 A.2d 140 (1986)
- In Re Juvenile 2004-789-A, 153 N.H. 332, 897 A.2d 940 (2006)
Recent Department of Education administrative decisions include:
- IDPH-FY-06-11-032/ School District
- IDPH-FY-08-11-035/Fall Mountain RegionalSchool District
A member of the firm for 30 years, Margaret-Ann is a frequent speaker and author on special education and student discipline topics.
Recent presentations include:
- NBI – May 2011, New Hampshire Special Education Law
- New Hampshire Association of Special Education Administrators, 2007 Annual Education Conference, March 15-16, 2007: Dispute Resolution Session Options: Resolution Sessions and Mediation
- New Hampshire Association of Special Education Administrators, 2007 Annual Law Conference, April 13, 2007: Review of NH Dept. of Education Decisions for the Past Year
- New Hampshire Association of Special Education Administrators, 2006 Annual Education Conference, March 16-17, 2006: Discipline – The Ongoing Saga
- The 2006 Bradley F. Kidder Educational Law Conference, October 11, 2006: Student Discipline Timelines Under IDEIA
- 8th Annual Best Practices Conference on Education for All Children, November 3-4, 2005: Discipline Under the 2005 IDEIA
- 2005 Bradley F. Kidder Education Law Conference, October 26, 2005: IDEA Reauthorization and Discipline
- New Hampshire Association of Special Education Administrators, 2005 Annual Education Conference, March 17-18, 2005: Discipline Under the 2004 IDEIA
Her active affiliations include:
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New Hampshire Council of School Attorneys (past Chair)
- National School Boards Association Council of School Attorneys
- Catholic Lawyers Guild of New Hampshire
Margaret-Ann is active as a leader in the community and has served many civic and community groups including health, education, alumni and charity and political groups and boards. She presently serves on the Board of Directors of Catholic Medical Center where she has been elected Secretary of the Board. She was the 2009 recipient of the Saint Thomas More Award. Margaret-Ann has been appointed as an alternate on the New Hampshire Ballot Law Commission. She has a Martindale-Hubbell BV rating.
Fax (603) 464-3269
Wellesley College, BA
Suffolk University Law School, JD
Upton & Hatfield LLP
8 School Street
PO Box 13
Hillsborough, NH 03244-0013